Places to Visit
Villages, Towns and Cities
Beautiful villages and towns of Art and History: Riberac, Bourdeilles, Aubeterre with its magnificent underground church, Bourdeilles and Château de Puyguilhem.
Cities of Angoulême (world famous cartoon, paper and contempory art museum) and Périgueux, magnificent architecture and shops, hypermarkets and French chic.
Sarlat and Rocamadour area. A village between the Dordogne and the Vezere with the most number of listed buildings per mile than any other European city www.semitour.com.
Oradour Sur Glane is an interesting but poignant reminder of a war massacre with museum and town left untouched for 50 years.
La Rochelle and Fort Boyard.
An exceptional cultural heritage – 450,000 years of history.
Prehistory: Troglodyte caves at Villars near Brantôme or further a field Lascaux, Roque St Christophe caves. Local troglodyte caves on the plateau d’Argentine (Rich will give you a guided tour), many different sites to visit.
Castles, churches, Roman churches, abbeys and Chateaux at La Rochefoucauld, Mareuil, Castlenaud.
Local Skills and Traditions
- Markets, arts and crafts. Riberac market on Friday mornings is excellent. Villebois Market Saturday mornings.
- Galleries. Many at Auberterre and original boutiques in the centre of Angoulême.
- Summer fêtes with colourful floats and brass bands.
- Canoeing: Based around the Dronne in Brantôme. Parc Naturel Regional Perigord-Limousin www.allocanoes.com, www.brantomecanoe.com, www.appache-canoe.fr
- Walking. Straight from the door, lovely tracks lead into woods and sunflower fields. Fantastic wildife to be seen.
- Outdoor pursuits, hiking, biking, riding, swimming and climbing. We have over 30 bikes of all sizes available free on site. Horse riding for all levels and carriage driving trips or lessons can be arranged www.perigord-en-caleche.com
- Golf: There are a number of courses. Angoulême and Cognac have internatioal standard courses or the Manoir de longeveau has more fun recreational 9 holes for around 25 euros. Club hire is available.
- Hot air ballooning www.charente-montolfierres.fr
- Fishing Private fishing at our lake a short walk from the gîtes.
- Tennis Free court at La Rochebeaucourt. Rackets available.
- Black truffle, foie gras, cèpe mushrooms, walnuts, chestnuts, melons and strawberries.
- In our garden you will find apples, cherries, plums, quince, walnuts, fig, blackberries, quince, sloes.
- Wine, Pineau and Cognac and the distillery tours Martell and Courvoisier.
Wine tours can be organised around a family run distillery close by or a visit to the town of St Emilion for wine tasting. To buy wine locally try Les Caves du Bouteiller in Mareuil good wine by the litre, just take empty water or pop bottles.
See also For Children for more suggestions.